Welch Fluorocarbon, Inc. is looking for a Research & Development Team Leader to join our growing team. We offer 100% paid health, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, and paid time off. Your benefits are active on your first day of employment.
- Lead Research & Development Team
1) Hire and manage individually contributing Team Members. Assign all tasks and projects and review and provide feedback for completed work.
2) Appraise and evaluate Research & Development Team and Team Member’s performance and make compensation recommendations.
3) Define individual performance objectives and development plans that align with Welch’s goals. Facilitate or provide mentoring experiences to support objectives and plans.
4) Develop and maintain relationships with other Team Leaders that support increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
5) Continuously review and improve process documentation governing the roles and responsibilities of the Research & Development Team.
6) Collaborate with the Product Development Team to complete internal projects.
- New Product & Process design & development
1) To lead as the thought leader on given programs, considering all technical aspects required to bring given programs to commercial success.
2) Conceive, design, and develop new products/processes through engineering analysis, prototyping, risk assessment, and qualification testing from earliest concept to operational qualification (OQ) .
3) Design tools, prototypes, and equipment needed for new product or customer product programs.
4) Design and lead experiments to confirm/uncover or resolve design questions.
5) Assemble, test, and troubleshoot automated manufacturing equipment.
6) Develop timelines, project plans, and cost estimates for development programs/tasks, providing timely communication on program progress.
7) Direct the work of more junior engineers and technicians in support of given programs as they are made available, mentoring & leading by example.
8) Participate in design reviews to determine the viability of new sales leads.
- Support of Existing Products
1) Evaluate, document, and implement design or process equipment or tooling changes to improve performance, manufacturability, safety, and/or cost of existing products/processes.
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in an Engineering (or Engineering Technology) field
1) Mechanical engineering is preferred, but other disciplines will also be considered.
2) At least 6–10 years of demonstrated product/process development experience in an applicable engineering area.
- Knowledge of materials and equipment used in plastic part fabrication
1) Experience with plastic part fabrication (common forming/sealing methods and equipment; thermoforming is particularly valuable). Experience with fluoropolymers or other exotic polymers is also desirable.
2) Experience in machine design, simple electrical design, and understanding of common manufacturing practices.
- Familiarity with commonly used engineering systems, methods of analysis, and business tools
1) Strong statistical analysis, experimental design (DOE) experience is highly desirable.
2) Risk analysis using FMEA and well-considered design reviews.
3) Documentation systems; Change orders, writing specs, quality systems, ISO requirements.
4) Simple computer skills; Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. with the ability to learn new ones.
- Working knowledge and direct experience using 3D CAD software
1) Solidworks primarily and/or Inventor.
2) Knowledge of drawing standards (geometric tolerancing, etc.).
Attention to details
1) Showing diligence to do things correctly and accurately, scrutinizing your own work as objectively as possible, as well as inviting others to review your work.
2) Highly organized in thinking, able to apply logic to questions that others cannot
Clarity of thought
1) Logical assessment of problems and/or solutions.
2) Ability to learn quickly; new processes, new equipment, and/or new methods and lead others in their learning of the same.
3) Knowing when and where to get help or advice when issues become critical or overly complex.
Ability to multi-task successfully,
1) Able to lead and be understood by most when creating documents or training others on new processes/equipment.
2) Able to lead and work successfully with a variety of people from several functional groups, cultures, and backgrounds.
1) Passion for a Team Environment and ability to collaborate well with others.
2) Exhibits Welch’s Core Values: Willingness, Excellence, Loyalty, Communication and Honesty.
- Ability to travel for business
1) Air and motor vehicle travel (either in the US or internationally) when required (<5% of time).
- Physical Requirements
1) Able to lift 30 pounds without help of equipment, but using proper lifting techniques.
2) Able to ascend/descend ladders, stairs, and crouch/kneel (for short periods). To have sufficient visual acuity (with correction if necessary) to see small parts, part defects, and read computer monitors/documentation.
3) Able to work in conditions of high heat and humidity above 90 degrees F for several hours at a time.
4) Able to sit for several hours at a time when performing design work or doing data analysis.
- Eligibility to Work
1) Must be able to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility request.
Welch participates in E-Verify.